AIMS of the BKTC
- To create a standard of Bhagavata speakers that adheres to the direction of Srila Prabhupada and ISKCON society in general, which satisfies the mood, mission and purpose of the founder-acharya.
- To emphasise the Bhagavatam as an authorized gaudiya-vaishnava text that is meant for preaching pure devotional service unto Lord Krishna and nothing less.
- To facilitate ISKCON devotees to become recognized bhagavata kathakars by the IIAC, for propagation of the true spirit and message of the Bhagavatam.
OBJECTIVES of the BKTC
- To understand the proper mood of a bhagavata katha speaker and hearer, as given by examples of personalities found in the Bhagavatam.
- To be able to present the knowledge of Bhagavatam in a way that is substantially applicable for the audience, hereby avoiding the effect of passive listening and indifferent hearing.
- To discover ways of connecting audiences with the purports of Srila Prabhupada found in the Bhagavatam, for the cause of spreading book distribution to newcomers as well as increasing the reading appetite amongst current devotees.
WHO CAN/SHOULD ATTEND THE BKTC?
– All the approved kathakars
– Those who are doing Kathas, but not yet approved
– Those who are potential kathakars, or aspiring to be kathakars
WHEN IS THE BKTC & WHO WILL ORGANIZE?
The subcommittee members may decide a suitable date for the course.
IIAC Bhagavata Katha Sub Committee members
||Bhakti Vijaya Bhagavad Swami,Brajaraj Kanai Das, Radhapada Das
||Vanamali Das, Krishna Bhakta Das, Mukund Madhav Das, Radheshyam Das
||Rishi Kumara Das – Convenor (Delhi), Sanak Sanatana Das(Vrindavan), Sundar Gopal Das(West-UP), Mahaman Das – Chairman, Praneshwar Das (Indore)
||Sumithra Krishna Das, Bhanu Swami, Bhaktivinod Swami
DURATION OF BKTC
5-8 hours, conducted in a day or two as decided by the sub-committee
BKTC COURSE MATERIAL
- “The Art of Studying & Teaching Scriptures” book by Gauranga Darshan Das – available here
Kindle version (soft copy) –
- The BKTC teachers approved by the local subcommittees can write to firstname.lastname@example.org for the powerpoint presentation slides for teaching the course.
- ISKCON Bhagavata Katha guidelines on thewebsite: https://www.iskconbhagavatkatha.com/
RECOMMENDED LESSON PLAN FOR THE BKTC
Session 1: SETTING THE SCENE (30 minutes)
b. The Perfect Combination- The four factors of Bhagavata Kathas
c. Bhagavata-saptas and Related concerns
d. The Committee and the Course
Session 2: THE MOOD OF STUDYING BHAGAVATAM (60 minutes)
a. The Significance of Spiritual Culture
b. The qualities of Good student of Bhagavatam
c. The Role of Research & Scholarship
This session is based on Chapter 2 of the Book – “The Art of Studying & Teaching Scriptures”
Session 3: THE METHOD OF STUDYING BHAGAVATAM (60 minutes)
a. Sravanam – Importance of Hearing
b. Paöhanam – 10 Tips for effective self-study
c. Mananaà – 2 tips for Recollection or Revision
d. Nidi-dhyäsanam – Inspiring deeper Contemplation
e. Kértanam – 2 key questions about Speaking
This session is based on Chapter 3 of the Book – “The Art of Studying & Teaching Scriptures”
Session 4: THE MOODOF SPEAKING BHAGAVATAM (60 minutes)
a. 15 qualities of a good Bhagavatam Speaker – Learning from the role model speakers like Sukadeva Goswami, Maitreya Muni, Suta Goswami, Narada Muni and so on from the Bhagavatam itself
b. 6 aspects of the significance of a Teacher’s role
This session is based on Chapter 5 of the Book – “The Art of Studying & Teaching Scriptures”
Session 5: THE METHODOF SPEAKING BHAGAVATAM (60 minutes)
Several tips for effectively speaking Bhagavatam through the “CPU” formula. This session is based on Chapter 6 of the Book – “The Art of Studying & Teaching Scriptures”
Session 6:THE DO’S & DON’TS and DESIRED OUTCOMES of BHAGVATA KATHA (30 minutes)
This session covers the guidelines set for a recognized kathakar and Srila Prabhupada’s opinions about the Bhagavata kathas.
Here is the Bhagavata Kathakar enrollment form :